KEEP GOLD-PLATED JEWELRY FROM TARNISHING
You may have suffered the fate of losing some of your favorite jewelry to tarnishing. Perhaps you didn’t realize this could happen, and now you want to make sure your gold treasures maintain their shine and don’t end up needing replaced. Well we are here to tell you that keeping your gold plated jewels from turning is much easier than you think!
Firstly, as much as we all love seeing our jewelry on display looking pretty and available at all times, this is the number one reason your jewelry will turn. It’s time to say goodbye to the jewelry stands and necklace hangers– the metals ones will ESPECIALLY cause a chemical reaction with the metal of the jewelry and quickly cause tarnishing!
What do you do instead? With 2 simple steps, the easiest way to protect your precious metals is also a great way to keep them stored and organized.
First Step: Storage
First, you will need a jewelry storage option that will suit your convenience and fit your collection safely inside. Something with drawers and little square dividers is our favorite option, and we won’t lie, there’s something satisfying about rifting through petite drawers full of all your sparkling jewelry. Like being a kid all over again and discovering Grandma’s antique vanity or jewelry chest!
Second Step: Protection
Second, protect your jewelry! You will need small plastic jewelry bags to keep your gold-plated pieces in. One piece of jewelry per bag. This is the most important part, because storing them in air tight baggies with no oxygen will preserve the gold and keep it shining. This may seem like a hassle, but going with clear bags allows you to see what is in them and be able to store more pieces in one jewelry container, keeping chains from tangling.
That’s it! This simple extra step will allow you to keep your gold-plated jewelry from tarnishing and therefore you will not see that beautiful gold turn brass, or have to replace your jewels so often!
* Check out our jewelry cases, perfect for travel or the smaller case for keeping in your purse. (Bloggers love our cases for their photoshoots!)
Other tips to maintain your gold-plated pieces
Gold plating should last up to 2 years with proper care. Even when your gold plating is on a precious metal base like silver, both gold and silver can tarnish and change the color of the metal, so proper care is essential to preserve your valuable treasures.
• Avoid any hard surfaces hitting the gold- so take off your rings if you will be doing something with your hands.
• Do not shower with or wash the gold-plated jewelry. Showering with gold plated jewelry can eventually cause the gold layer to wear off completely.
• Avoid household cleaners for your jewelry, and be sure to remove your rings if you will be using such cleaners.
• Only clean your jewelry with a gentle microfiber jewelry cloth. Anything else may erode the surface and leave scratches or dull the shine.